I’ve used AVG Anti-Virus for over 8 years and in the last year or so they have started using their free platform as an advertisement medium. While I understand that I chose the free version, I have to really disagree with their opionion that this means they can annoy their free users daily with marketing campaign pop-ups. I decided to keep the software, but stop the popups from being able to run.
1. Disable AVG temporarily:
2. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer and Navigate to:
3. Rename the following three folders:
I chose to rename them as opposed to deleting them so i can revert if there are any issues. Do not delete or rename anything else you see inside the AVG201x folder. If you accidentally delete anything else go to the recycle bin and restore it.
Note: If you have already paid for the Tuneup addon then keep this folder
4. Close the My Computer/Explorer window
5. Enable AVG self protection:
Right click the AVG icon in the taskbar (near the clock)
Select to Enable AVG Protection – takes 20 seconds or so to fully activate.
6. Reminisce on how annoying those popups were!
Google is ALWAYS doing it’s best to help you find what you’re looking for, ALWAYS! And it will use any means/data/geo ip address/history necessary! If you have search history in your google account that shows you frequent your own website, or google knows your computers ip hits your own site often,or cookies that tell your browser you visit your own website, etc, you can be seeing skewed search results.
There are a few steps to ensure your results are true, and unbiased by your own browsing history.
Here’s a few tips:
– When in SEO mode, browse in incognito mode with your browser (clearing cookies helps as well, though that is old school knowledge, right?)
– Set your google search history to (paused) so your google account is not tracking and using your search info https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/54068
– But my favorite, and the easiest way to ensure unbiased results is to use a proxy web server. A proxy server is basically like using a brand new computer in a different state or even country. To google, this new computer has no traces to you, no search history, no geo ip address history, no stealth tracking of any kind. And there are many free online proxies that you can use to verify your seo results.
Here are the steps to try a proxy for the first time.
– Visit https://hide.me/en/proxy
– Where it says “enter web address” enter google.com
– Click “visit anonymously”
– Now perform a google search for your desired keywords
– View the results comfortably, knowing you are seeing unbiased results